Fitchburg State University : Public University In Fitchburg, Massachusetts
This is a public university which is situated in Fitchburg, Massachusetts. There are over 3500 undergraduates and 1650 graduate continuing students which brings the total enrollment strength to 5200.
There are over 25 different academic disciplines being offered under graduate and undergraduate category in the university. The main campus of the university is McKay Campus School which is occupied under the 79 acres area.
The Fitchburg University was founded by the State Normal School in Fitchburg in the year 1894 by their state legislature. The university building has several halls. Some of the most important ones are given below –
- Hammond Hall – This one is known to contain the Amelia V. Gallucci-Cirio Library, the Information Desk, the Game Room, the Falcon Hub, the Follet Bookstore, the Campus Center Cafe, and the North Street Bistro. The third floor of this building has a student service center which houses tutor center, math center, writing center, disability services and counselling services.
- Amelia V Gallucci Cirio Library – This is the major and the biggest library on the campus which has more than 1 million books. You can also find journals and periodicals and even microfiche on the fourth floor. Even children books and young adult books are also available here.
- Thompson Hall – This was built in the year 1896 when the original university building was also being made. Now, this is more like a classroom building here. Here a nursing department is situated at present and there are number of labotaries and even a 10 bedded hospital.
- Edgerly Hall – This is also popularly known as the eight grade model and high school which was earlier called as the first of the many junior high schools in America. Now, you can find computer and maths labs here and here many computer and mathematics classrooms are also provided.
- Percival Hall – This is the place where behavioural science department is actually taught and thus you will find psychology, sociology and criminal justice here.
- Miller Hall – This is situated in close proximity to Percival hall and Thompson Hall. This is presently the house of history and English departments here.
- Anthony Student Service Center – This is the student service center situated on the campus itself where admissions, financial aids, student account, graduate and how to continue your education and many such assistance is provided.
- Dupont Facilities Building – This is the maintenance department of the school.
- Antonucci Science Complex – It has science classrooms, labotaries as well as departmental offices too. A 90 seat lecture hall is also present here.
- Conlon Arts Building – Here are the two buildings which are enclosed by the gateaway. At one building you see communication or media house whereas at the other you see industrial technology home and departments.
The university campus is known to have six residence halls. Three of which are suite style, two are modern apartment and only one is the dormitory style.
Aubuchon Hall, Mara Village and Russell Towers are the popular three suite halls. Apartment style residences are known as Townhouse apartments and North Street apartments. These ones are usually reserved for the upper star classroom.
Holmes dining commons are known as the main dining hall at the campus. The dining hall spreads through the main north street and also can be seen through the main road as well.
This is a buffet style dining hall and it is run by foodservice chartwells. The dining hall took $4 million pound for it’s renovation.
Fitchburg State University has adopted the Carnegie rule. This means that if you are a student and if you want to qualify for the full time student category then you need to take at least 4 classes per semester for the same.
If a student is willing to complete their major in 4 years, then they need to take a minimum of 5 classes per semester.
Some of the most common and high in demand majors of this college includes – Nursing, Communications Media, Education, Business administration and industrial technology.
The university offers 56 undergraduate majors which is spread across 25 departments from biology to pre professional programs. More than 40 graduate and certificate program are also part of this university.
|Endowment||$19.9 million (2018)|
|Budget||$86 million (FY 2014)|
|President||Richard S. Lapidus|
|Campus||Urban, 31.4 acres (0.13 km²) (main campus)
226.2 acres (0.92km²) total
|Colors||Green and Gold|
|Athletics||NCAA Division III – MASCAC, NEFC|